This past week has been a bit of a challenge for me, it all started on Sunday February 12, 2017 when I was at Church serving when I noticed I was getting a fair number of Delivery Failures to one of my email address here at brenthiggs.com. Upon further investigation I had discovered that some scrupulous person had spoofed the email address and was using it to send out SPAM emails using my email address and domain name.
I then began the process of of trying to stop the the spoofing from happening by implementing security measures for my domain and server in the DNS Records. I first setup my SPF records to only include the known external IP address of my server as well the hostname of the server. I than setup the DMARC record initially incorrectly by setting to the policy to do nothing at all which well did nothing and the spoofing was able to continue. I them through the help of the Tech Support Team at inMotionHosting.com this had seamed to resolve the issue for awhile.
On Thursday February 16, it started again with getting multiple Mailer Demon message so I did a little more digging and diagnostics. Did a few tweeks to the SPF Record, and the DMARC record and added DKIN or a Domain Name Key. At the time of composing this post the email account seams to be quite and I am not getting any Mail Delivery failure messages
That being said I know have my work cut out for me to implement the same security and authentication across all my domains.